Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Naughty?

So I have been really wondering lately if I need to speak to the doctor about the possibility of Caleb having ADHD...  This kid drives me bonkers some days!  I receive emails from babycenter and one the the subjects yesterday was exactly about that topic.  Reading that article made me realize that Caleb isn't quite as bad as what some of the "factors" of having ADHD are.  He has been very "naughty" lately by not listening when we ask him to do something, purposefully picking on Carter, having mild tantrums or crying fits about things that he shouldn't be.  Yesterday I was at my breaking point and I am not sure if it is more my fault that I am so mad at him or his.  Is my patience not working?  Am I too tired, crabby, stressed?  I don't know.  I purposefully calmed myself down yesterday and sat down to have a chat with him.  I told him he needs to listen and do what he his told to do when he is told.  He had a pretty good morning this morning.  We were outside most of the morning, then had lunch.  He got one "count" at lunch when he poured some of his milk on his plate (a household no-no), then during rest time he was messing around and got off his couch so he got another "count".  It is hard when I start thinking about the things he does wrong they seem so trivial, but when in the heat of the moment it seems like the end of the world if he is not punished for doing that action.  I also feel that if I don't punish him for this thing, then he will think it is okay to do it nad continue to do that plus try to get away with more. 

I need to work on my patience.  Try not to yell quite as often.  And start thinking if this is worth getting worked up about...  Now- how to do that?

4 comments:

  1. I was the same way with the first child I raised. Sometimes, when I look back, I can't believe I let myself get so worked up over things so little. You are a product of your parents' upbringing, which means your expectations are high. Just try to relax, remember to "pick your battles", and know that no matter what happens, he will turn out as amazing as his mommy. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaw. Thanks.

    BTW, I have a ton of clothes for you to go through! Do you have anything going on this weekend? You can come over and pick through them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean. I really try to ignore bad behavior and reward the good, but things like pouring milk make me crazy too. I think some of Caleb's behavior is not him being naughty and him being a three-year-old. Sylvia pours her milk on her plate too, but I never thought of it as being naughty, just curious. We tell her not to do it, but I don't usually punish her for anything other than severly not listening, as in running away from me when I'm trying to catch her. Then my punishment is ignoring her, which makes her mad. I will actually say, I'm not going to talk to you while you act like that and walk away and get on my computer or do something I want to do. It doesn't take long before she's up in my business trying to win back my attention.

    Just a different perspective. I know you're probably overwhelmed being alone right now. Try to take deep breaths and walk away when you need to. I know they say not to leave kids alone, but go within ear's reach, and be alone for a few minutes when you feel like yelling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure what's going on Saturday, but if nothing, we'll pop over for a while. xoxo

    ReplyDelete